Wednesday, January 23, 2013

The Wonderful World Of Radiation

A week ago, Nathan & I met with the radiation oncologist. Yes...that's a completely different doctor from my medical oncologist. Who knew?

Anyway, it has taken about a week for all of the info to sink in. Radiation does NOT sound like much fun. My doc says that it looks like I'll be getting 5 weeks of radiation. That's 5 weeks, 5 days a week. 25 times. 25 trips to the cancer center for 5-10 minutes of treatment.

The doc went over all of the potential side-effects (dry, red skin, sore throat/difficulty swallowing, fatigue, fibrosis, etc.) and then the odds of developing secondary cancer (like breast cancer). Fun!

After my next chemo treatment on 2/1, we will schedule a repeat PET scan. That will determine whether I am done with chemo or not. If I am, radiation will begin. If I'm not, well...we'll cross that bridge when we get there.

In other news...Yesterday we celebrated Emory's 4th birthday! He is such a big boy!

No comments:

Post a Comment