Monday, December 10, 2012

(Almost) Bald Is Beautiful

Several of the medications in my chemo regimen cause hair loss. It's not a matter of if my hair will fall out, but when it will. I've read/heard different time tables...anywhere from 10 days past the 1st treatment to right after 2nd treatment. Since my hair was down past my shoulders, I worried about the mess that would come when it starts falling out. I've heard that it doesn't fall out a few strands at a time. It's like your hair follicles just open up and your hair runs away screaming.

So, in order to avoid as much of the upcoming mess as possible, and in order to prepare the kids (okay, and myself) for the shock of bald Momma, I decided to take matters into my own hands. My sweet hubby stopped by and talked to the lady who normally cuts my hair last week. (Big confession...I don't pay huge prices to get my hair done. I go to Great Clips. LOL!) She said she would be honored to shave me bald. How sweet! She even offered to come out to the house to shave it for me so we could avoid crowds/gawkers.

After much discussion, I decided that Saturday was the day. 8 days post-treatment. After a great visit with (one set of) the ILs, I tried to take a nap. But as I lay in bed, tossing & turning, I started to chicken out. I got up & told Nathan we had to leave immediately...before I decided against it.

Before we left, I read the kids a new book we got called "Mom Has Cancer". It's a great little picture book that explains a lot.





As we walked across the parking lot to the hair place, my heart was pounding. I was more nervous about walking through that door than I've been any other time during this whole ordeal. Well...maybe with the exception of the port placement.

We picked a great time to go. There was only one customer there, and my hair lady was almost done with her. We sat for a few minutes, and then it was my turn. My hair lady confessed that she was very nervous, having never done a buzz cut on a woman. I told her that we could be nervous and possibly cry together.

Here I am, gearing up for the big cut!


Now we're halfway there...


WOW...


They were left with this big pile to clean up...


Bald is beautiful! Thank you, Amy!

The only person who cried was the other hairdresser in the shop. We all stayed strong!

Emory loves my new cut. He says, "I will love you even if you don't have any hair."

Evie likes it, and even asked if she could cut all her hair off.

Emmit hates it. He wouldn't touch my head, and informed that I am not allowed to pick him up at school unless I wear a hat.

Nathan says it looks pretty cool.

I love it, except for that whole cold head thing. Thank goodness for caps & scarves!

No comments:

Post a Comment