Wednesday, December 12, 2012

Bone Marrow - CLEAR!


Today, I had to go in for blood work & a quick visit with the oncologist. He is very happy with my progress so far. The swollen node in my neck is visibly smaller, and my cough is gone! This means the first chemo treatment did exactly what we hoped it would do: started shrinking the tumor! WOOHOO!

Doc said my labs look great. I'm showing no signs of Tumor Lysis Syndrome, which would mean my body is having trouble getting rid of the dead/dying cancer cells. My kidneys are functioning just as they should, so he's happy with that (as am I). I have to continue on Allipurinol (for uric acid) until my next treatment, but should be able to discontinue it if my kidneys can keep up.

The long-awaited results of my bone marrow biopsy show that there is NO BONE MARROW INVOLVEMENT! WOOHOO! This means that my cancer is officially Stage II B. My International Prognostic Index (IPI) score is 1. Each point 0-5 is a poor prognostic factor. I have one, which was high LDH (lactate dehydrogenase). He said it's barely high, but still high. A score of 1 is considered the low risk group. You can read more about IPI at this link, but let me assure you, it's good news! 

So, with the good news of the bone marrow biopsy, our current plan remains pretty much unchanged. 3 more chemo treatments and then a repeat PET scan. That scan, along with a visit with the Radiation Oncologist, will determine whether more chemo and/or radiation are needed. 

Upcoming appointments:
12/21/12 (maybe...Mayans?) - blood work, oncologist check-up, chemo treatment
12/23/12 (yes...a Sunday) - Neulasta shot (to boost WBC production...and make my bones ache just in time for Christmas)

No comments:

Post a Comment